Sunday, May 22, 2011

Clutter Issues : Rant of the Day

Yes, this is at my house. It's right behind where I'm sitting, like an evil monkey on my back. It's not the first thing a visitor sees, but it's noticeable. All my life, I have had issues with clutter. I love the idea of "getting organized". I love the images I see in my favorite magazine of perfectly contained, labelled stuff. But these supposedly inspirational features never seem to quite apply to me. Yes, that "before" picture of the cluttered closet does look like mine. But when the dust settles, and the well-lit "after" picture is taken, I realize that:

1) Everyone in the world has a bigger closet than I have EVER had, anywhere I have ever lived. I have never actually seen a closet as big as the "small" closets in magazines/blogs.

2) I can't afford $35 linen-covered shoeboxes for all my shoes. Even though they are beautiful. And open from the front so you don't have to unstack them.

3) That canvas hanging-shelf thing that hangs perfectly even in the magazine photos, hangs crooked and all my stuff falls out the front of the shelves.

4) Even if I did have a big closet, and an unlimited credit card for Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and a wall of built-ins in my walk-in closet, I would probably still have junk piled up to the heavens and spilling out into the room.

This is just the way it is, and I've been trying to change forever (literally, since I was 5 or 6), but it often seems impossible. I'm certain this has something to do with my depression and anxiety, and judging by my mother's MUCH MUCH worse clutter problems at her home, this is something deeply ingrained from a young age.

I've dabbled in the FlyLady way. I think her methods and sweet encouragement could really help me, since it's geared toward perfectionists. I just can't ever get started. It's like I'm defeated before I begin.

Any of you have problems with clutter? or messy homes/offices? What did you do to ease the pain and turn your house/closet/life from this - to -this :


 photo sourced from here. 

Also, see what I mean about the stupidly big closet? And anyone else notice that getting rid of the kids really helped a lot with organization? AND if you have room for a freaking chandelier, a chest-of-drawers, an ottoman, and are able to stand in your "closet" IT'S NOT A CLOSET, IT'S A ROOM.

This has been M's Rant of the Day. Thank you for tuning in.

3 comments:

  1. I have a walk-in closet, which could be considered a very small room... and it is overflowing with clothes and other junk. It's not as big as the one pictured, but it could definitely look better! haha.
    My organizational skills totally blow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have enough room in my closet either. I have a shelf above my hanging clothes and it is full of clothes that don't fit me or things that are winter when it's summer. You know the deal. It looks awful. What a mess.

    Oh and by the way, please don't be afraid to send me your info for winning your zine. I know I haven't been the best of late but I have no problem with getting this zine to you. I'd love you to read it and tell me what you think, so you can email me on sabby120@netspace.net.au :)

    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey M, I so hear you on this! I accumulate clutter like others accumulate... well, I can't think what, actually! I also know what you mean about the small spaces problem. I moved an entire houeshold of things into a tiny little box-room and no matter what I do, it's going to be chaos. Actually it looks rather like that 'before' photo just there! And the finished product looks... not much different. ;)

    I didn't think your clutter problem was too terrible from that photo! I like your organisation style, with the different containers. If you're worried about the "look" of it, you could try adapting a nice curtain or sheet as a "door" for your shelves? That can sometimes help make it look like there's less "stuff", because it's not out on view so much - makes the room seem bigger or something, I think.

    Otherwise, I'm pretty much as stuck!

    Re FlyLady, I used to follow her methods when I was married. I did find it really helpful, but getting started was the hard part! I think it's one that you just have to bite the bullet and just DO, though... which I know is much easier than it sounds! Maybe try making a committment to yourself that no matter WHAT else, for one week you will shine your sink -- and if general housekeeping isn't a problem and it's just the clutter problem, "shine your sink" can mean to evaluate the usefulness of five "clutter" items in your home.

    ReplyDelete