Monday, March 7, 2011

today my boss said blogging was passé

This plastic duck was in the office today. Not sure why...


I've been feeling good this last week. It's a welcome change from how I've felt this year so far. The production deadline for our major biannual publication overlapped with our bimonthly pub, which was right on the heels of my wedding magazine project that came out in December. It was insane, and things feel a smidge more relaxed now that those things are finished. I was working heavily on production (graphic design, scheduling photoshoots, copy editing) and my saleshuman duties took a back seat during this time.

I found out on Friday that there would be some changes around the office. We have a satellite office with 3 workers, 2 of which are going to be consolidated into our office and the other worker has been laid off. I don't really know any of these people, but one is going to take my place as the designer second-in-command so that I can focus 100% on sales. GREAT. (That was sarcasm by the way). If I wanted to just make money, and be an ad sales exec, I would have finished college in 2.5 years, went straight to get an MBA, and moved to New York or somewhere and hopefully be having power lunches and crushing testicles (pardon the hard language) by now. As it was, I decided to go for my dreams for some silly reason and study art and writing. I took the sales position because I saw it as a necessary evil for me to get to write and design 30% of the time.

Now that that's being taken away from me, as well as the brand-new awesome Mac computer we just got at work, I feel even more motivated to start making my sales quota and finish out the year and MOVE ON.

If I was feeling like I was 2 weeks ago, I probably would have been unable to handle these changes. I would have had a breakdown, maybe even while at work. Luckily, there have been a few sunny days, I've been able to catch up on sleep, and it's an "up" time in the "up and down" schedule of my moods. So, I'm taking these changes as a personal and professional challenge, will suck it up and put on my "saleslady" hat (er..push up bra and power high heels) and sell some damn ads so I can say I did it. In the meantime, I plan on saving up the extra money and TRYING to apply for grad schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment