Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Modest, Drunken Proposal

Several years ago when he was still drinking, after a really intense bender for which he was still extremely drunk, J. was being really mean and inappropriate to me and our friends. I decided to take him and his friend back home, but I asked his friend to sit in the front seat because J. was being really horrible and I wanted him in the back seat.

As he swayed and whined, drunk as a skunk, he suddenly asked me to marry him. I just took it as ridiculous drunken talk, and was kind of sad and offended that he had decided to ask me in that state. I proudly and flippantly said no. But it was super awkward.

The other day when we were arguing and disentangling, he said "I asked you to marry me before." I can only assume that he meant that one time, about 3 years ago, when he had done so while intoxicated. I basically said, "No you didn't" but it made me feel like that one time meant something to him, in some way, and that my rejection of his proposal, however not-serious I thought he was, made him sad. I'd like to ask him about it, to clear the air, to let him know that I loved him when he was a drunk, and I love him now, but that I didn't take him seriously and I didn't think that it was an appropriate or even valid way to ask. To me, it was basically just drunken ramble and I treated it as such. Maybe he was "testing" me to see if I would be with him "in sickness and in health."